student

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Mar 15 19:53:06 UTC 2002

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:

>I do not understand why both words would be correct.
>They have different meanings.
>Since when "stazhirovat'sja" can be used instead of "uchit'sja"?
>For example, consider "kursy po povysheniju kvalifikatsii."
>Usually, it is a very short course of study.
>Can one say "Ja stazhirujus' na kursah po povysheniju kvalifikatsii"?
>Of course, not.
>"Ja uchus' na kursah po povysheniju kvalifikatsii" is correct.
>
>One could incorrectly use "stazhjor" instead of "student" but it is not an
>example to follow.

French language to the rescue. No, "stazhirovat'sja" and "uchit'sja" are
obviously not identical. Third graders cannot have stazhirovka.
>Can one say "Ja stazhirujus' na kursah po povysheniju kvalifikatsii"?
>Of course, not.
I wouldn't be so sure. Those students were actually called "slushateli" not
"studenty" (no longer "kursisty", and certanly not "kursanty").

Bol'shoj tolkovyj slovar' (1998) gives a number of examples for "stazhirovka":

Letnjaja stazhirovka slushatelej voennoj akademii [I wonder what they are
doing.]
Stazhirovka molodyx prepodavatelej, nauchnyx rabotnikov za granicej.
Stazhirovka vrachej v institute usovershenstvovanija.

AH-HA! Those doctors in "institut usovershenstvovanija" are taking courses,
not performing postmortem.

I did promise French, didn't I? Well, it comes from French "stage". My
"Petit Robert" says the following:

"Période d'étude pratique imposée aux candidats à certaines professions
libérales ou publiques."

So "kursy povyshenija kvalifikacii", let's say Middlebury summer program as
it relates to school teachers (not  undergrads taking a summer course)
would be called "un stage".

AI

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University