Russian attitudes to Central Asia

GP Gandolfo gpgandolfo at IOL.IT
Sat Mar 16 20:26:21 UTC 2002

At 14.19 16/03/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>A friend of mine sent me the request below. If anyone
>knows of some good books on this subject, I would be
>grateful for the recommendation.
>
>Charles
>======================
>Dear Charles,
>                 How are you?
>         I am wondering about writing a dissertation, as I am
>sure that I have
>told
>you. One of my current ideas is to do something about
>Russian attitudes
>Asia, and in particular how these may or may not have
>affected the
>Russian
>move into Central Asia. Have you read anything about
>this, or if not,
>do you
>have any ideas what might be interesting to read or
>good to write on?

         A useful starting point (the first that occurs to me) is  the
chapter "Asia" by Mark Bassin in
the Cambridge Companion to Modern Russian Culture, edited by Nicholas
Rzhevsky (1998). The notes contain also some bibliographical material that
could be of interest. The literature by and on the evrazjisty can also
provide interesting insights.
Offhand I can't think of anything better. Good luck
                                         Giampaolo Gandolfo