FW: obituary

Nobukatsu Minoura nobum at GOL.COM
Sun Mar 24 08:12:26 UTC 2002

Dear colleagues,

I am in great sorrow that I have to inform you that the Professor Eiichi
Chino, a professor emeritus of the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies and
an ex-president of the Wako University passed away in the morning of the
19th of March due to illnesses at the age of 70.  He is survived by his wife
Ayako and children.

He graduated from the Department of Russian Studies of the Tokyo University
of Foreign Studies and also from the Department of Linguistics of the
University of Tokyo.  He studied at Charles University in Prague,
Czechoslovakia from 1958 till 1967.  He specialized in and taught Slavic
philology including studies of Old Church Slavic philology, Russian, and
Czech and also general linguistics.

He is the author of many enlightening books on linguistics and he also
translated many books of Czech literature into Japanese, including works by
Capek and Kundera.

The funeral will be held at Tsukiji Honganji Temple Wadabori Byosho, Eifuku
1-8-1, Suginami-ku, Tokyo near Meidaimae Station on Keio Line.  The wake
(tsuya) will be held from 6 p.m. of the 26th of March and the funeral will
be held from 11 a.m. of the 27th of March.

Telegrams of condolence should be sent to his home (Kita Karasuyama 1-12-6,
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo).

Nobukatsu Minoura
Linguistics
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies