Kolyma: Dzhankhar: Shalamov and Platonov

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun Mar 24 16:02:52 UTC 2002

Dear all,

Shalamov's story 'Zaklinatel' zmei' has a hero called Andrey Platonov; this
Platonov clearly has something, at least, in common with the real Platonov.
There  is also mention of a mine called 'Dzhankhar'.  This could be an
allusion to Platonov's DZHAN.  I should like to know whether there really
was a mine (priisk) by the name of Dzhankhar.  Can anyone help me?

Best Wishes,  Robert Chandler