Kolyma: Dzhankhar: Shalamov and Platonov

Hafiza Andreeva hafizaandreeva at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Mar 25 02:14:38 UTC 2002

> There  is also mention of a mine called 'Dzhankhar'.  This could be an
> allusion to Platonov's DZHAN.  I should like to know whether there really
> was a mine (priisk) by the name of Dzhankhar.  Can anyone help me?
=========

Actually, it is Dzhankhara (fem.). I was unable to find any mention of the
name in sources other than Shalamov's story. However, it is known that in
1943, Shalamov worked at a labor camp of priisk "Dzhelgala". Don't you think
he might have altered the name in the literary work, yet leaving it
recognizable? Those were quite cannibalistic times in the USSR. I was hoping
to find a list of the Kolyma prisons on Kolyma.Ru -- but, alas, was found to
"have no permission" to view the site.
Here is the excerpt from Shalamov's biography still available on
www.litera.ru:8085/stixiya/articles/599.html

... v mae 1943 g., kogda on rabotal zaboishikom v osobo-rezhimnoi zone
priisk "Dzhelgala".
22 iyunya togo zhe goda Voennyi tribunal voisk NKVD pri Dal'stroe ...
********
Best regards,
Hafiza
EN<>RU T/I