Kolyma: Dzhankhar: Shalamov and Platonov

Elena Mikhailik E.Mikhailik at UNSW.EDU.AU
Mon Mar 25 10:46:10 UTC 2002

At 16:02 24.03.2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>Shalamov's story 'Zaklinatel' zmei' has a hero called Andrey Platonov; this
>Platonov clearly has something, at least, in common with the real Platonov.
>There  is also mention of a mine called 'Dzhankhar'.  This could be an
>allusion to Platonov's DZHAN.  I should like to know whether there really
>was a mine (priisk) by the name of Dzhankhar.  Can anyone help me?
>
>Best Wishes,  Robert Chandler

Dear Robert,

The name of the mine in the story is "Dzhankhara" (fem).  It is very likely
that Shalamov used it as a recognisable alias for Dzhelgala - a Kolyma
mining camp of fearsome reputation where Shalamov had worked as a miner in
1943.  However, "Dzhankhara" might also be a genuine name of some other
place, used because Shalamov liked the sound of it.

Since the Kolyma mines were usually named after the local rivers - Mylga,
Hattynah, Dzelgala, Arkagala, - it might make sense to get a detailed atlas
and search for such a river.

Regards,

Elena Mikhailik