Cyrillic fonts, ebooks, and handheld computers

Eliot Borenstein eb7 at NYU.EDU
Fri Nov 1 20:20:45 UTC 2002

Here's my highly geeky question:  I use various Cyrillic fonts on a Mac
(OS X.2--no, I haven't worked all the kinks out of it yet).  I also
download Russian ebooks to read on my Treo (running a Palm OS), usually
using Palm Reader Lite, but sometimes a clunkier program called iSilo
(there's a site at www.palmpc.ru/ that's quite good, though I've only
been able to download the files successfully on a Wintel machine,and
iSilo books are also available at
http://palmlib.palmclub.ru/lib/libhome.htm--both are free). So far, so
good:  my Treo handles Cyrillic just fine thanks to CyrHack II (the
software can be downloaded for free at
http://www.enlight.ru/pilot/cyrhack/about.html).

The problem arises when I try to download e-texts from various web
sites (particularly the Moshkov e-library) and use them on my handheld
computer.  I've tried using the Palm eBook studio, but when I try to
make a pdb or prc file containing Cyrillic, it turns into gibberish
(big surprise there--the program isn't designed with Cyrillic support
in mind).  Is there anyone out there who might know how I can get
around this problem?

Please reply to me directly and spare everyone else the boring details,
and I'll post a summary of all the responses I get.

Thanks,

Eliot Borenstein,  Chair
Dept. of Russian & Slavic Studies
New York University