Cyrillic fonts, ebooks, and handheld computers

Chris Tessone tessone at POLYGLUT.NET
Fri Nov 1 20:52:11 UTC 2002

Dear Eliot,

My first suggestion, as someone who also reads books in Cyrillic on the
Palm, is to try MakeDoc (I found one version at
http://www.pdacentral.com/palm/preview/34658.html, but it's "enhanced",
which sometimes means "some stuff added, other things broken").  :-)  It
is not made to support Cyrillic, but it works out anyway.  It simply
converts the Cyrillic characters to their extended-ASCII equivalents
(what you see when your encoding is set to "Western European" and you
try to read a Russian page).  The resulting PDB file should work just
fine.

Two other things: have you seen the library at http://www.palmpc.ru/ ?
I found it pretty good, but then I was very into Akunin and such at the
time.  There isn't as much in the way of "klassika" there.  The second
solution I can think of is to try lib.ru.  You can get a TealDoc version
of any file by simply clicking "ogl" (oglavlenie) next to any text and
scrolling down to the bottom of the screen.  TealDoc isn't as nice as
iSilo, but it's workable.

Good luck!

Chris

--