Adding accents to Cyrillic text

Thu Nov 7 03:14:28 UTC 2002

David Chaika wrote:

> I have a Russian-language text that I downloaded from the net. I want to put
> an acute accent mark over the stressed letters for teaching purposes. Or
> even mark them in bold, I'm not particular. I use Windows 2000/Word 2000.
> The text is unicode, but I may want to print it in one of my cool cp1251
> fonts, which don't have accented Cyrillic characters either.
>
> My question is - how do y'all handle this? It is tedious to say the least to
> go through the whole thing word by word, but that is doable (for a short
> story of 20 pages, which I am working on) if I can convert the Russian
> letter with a keystroke instead of fumbling around on the keyboard. Zaranee
> bol'shoe spasibo!

AFAIK Unicode doesn't include accented Cyrillic, so you will have to
compose them using equation fields. Not to worry -- these are not math
equations.

A valid equation field for overlapping two characters looks like this:
        {eq \o(a,´)}
or      { eq \o(a,´)}
where a and ´ are the letters you want to overlap.

N.B. 1. There MUST be a space character after "eq"
        and there MUST NOT be a space character after ")."
     2. The braces must be entered using CTRL-F9.

Now obviously, you don't want to make these things by hand for every
character -- it would take forever. So write a macro. This oughta do it.
Comments are [bracketed]. Each line represents one keystroke.

Place the cursor just after a character you wish to accent.
Begin recording.
        SHIFT-left arrow [select the character left of the cursor]
        CTRL-F9 [create a field containing the selected character]
        space
        \
        (
        right arrow
        ,
        ALT-0180 [be sure to type all four numbers from number pad
        without releasing ALT key. This inserts the acute accent]
        )
        DEL [removes final space before end of field]
        F9 [updates field to show the result]
Stop recording.
Name and save your macro and assign it to a keyboard shortcut.

To use the macro, just put the cursor after the character in question
and hit the keyboard shortcut.

If your fields do not update, but continue to look like this:
        {eq \o(a,´)}
Go to Tools | Options, "View" tab, and clear the check next to "Field
Codes."

HTH

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.