Adding accents to Cyrillic text

Thu Nov 7 23:20:52 UTC 2002

Ralph Cleminson wrote:

> Note that in order to display these, you will have to have a
> font installed on your system that includes the glyphs for
> these characters.  The quality of display is also dependent
> on the font; for example, in Times New Roman the acute
> accent is not properly centred over the letter.

This is one advantage of the equation format I offered: there is a
switch that lets you specify that the two characters be aligned left,
center or right:
        {eq \o\al(a,´)}         [aligns left]
        {eq \o\ac(a,´)}         [aligns center]
        {eq \o\ar(a,´)}         [aligns right]

> ... If you can't do that, then you need to do something more
> complicated, as for example suggested by Paul B. Gallagher,
> but I'm not sure to what extent the result will be platform-
> independent.

Your concern about platform independence is quite justified, and I can
make no claims in this area.

However, I would not call my solution complicated except for the first
five or ten minutes required to set it up. From then on, it's just
positioning the cursor and executing a macro via a keyboard shortcut --
ALT-a, for example.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com