Adding accents to Cyrillic text

Don Livingston deljr at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Nov 7 23:24:11 UTC 2002

To my surprise MS Word 2000 now also includes non-spacing
diacritics that work at least in their Times New Roman,
Courier New, and Lucida Sans Unicode fonts.  To enter one of
the non-spacing accents, choose Insert/Symbol from the menu,
then under font choose "Lucida Sans Unicode," then under
subset choose "Combining Diacritical Marks," and then
insert.  Of course, to save time in the future it's probably
best to assign that mark to a shortcut key.  If you don't
know how to do that, use MS Word's help features to learn.

In terms of quality, the spacing looked best to me under
Lucida Sans Unicode, but it was serviceable under the other
two fonts.  The SIL fonts mentioned in the previous post I
found quite nice because they came in with differing
backspacing, one set more suitable to narrow letters and
another set suitable for wider letters.  Their for-pay
products are even nicer.