Cash, credit

B. Amarilis Lugo de Fabritz balugo at EMORY.EDU
Thu Nov 14 04:00:15 UTC 2002

I used American Express travelers checks back in the stone ages of 1996. I
also made sure to take my American Express card. The American Express
currency exchange counter in ST Petersburg provided American Express
cardholders with the best exchange rate in the city, and I used their mail
forwarding service. It cut down on the wait for mail delivery. That, of
course, assumes you student expects to get correspondence while staying in
Russia. I never needed to use their check cashing service, but  it was a
nice option to have in case of emergency.

I would recommend your student check with American Express Traveler
Services to find out the range of services provided in St. Petersburg and
Moscow. Paying for the card can seem annoying at a time when most cards do
not charge yearly fees, but for peace of mind it can be a good thing. No I
do not work for American Express. Just sharing my opinions as someone who
has used their services before.

Regards,
Amarilis Lugo de Fabritz

B. Amarilis Lugo de Fabritz, Ph. D.
Russian and East Asian Languages and Cultures
Emory University
404-727-2168
balugo at emory.edu
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~balugo/