translation question

Mon Nov 18 22:17:27 UTC 2002

JSD wrote:

> I am having trouble translating the derogatory term "indian giver" into
> Russian.  A search in the multitran dictionary produced 54 expressions but
> not "indian giver."   Is there a translation for this term, or another term
> that describes giving a gift and then taking or demanding it back?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Closest I can find is "даритель по-индейски" -- one hit on Russian
Google in response to the search string
        "indian giver" подарок
and that was a dictionary entry explaining the English term.

A "corpus" this size doesn't inspire confidence. :-)

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com