translation question

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Mon Nov 18 23:09:13 UTC 2002

Even for "Indian summer" translated as "bab'e leto" with 'a disguised
element of bigotry' and with the same idea of not been trustworthy, the
target of this bigotry is a different class: women rather than the
Indians.
Sorry but there is no perfect translations for complex expressions.

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> I would also point out that the English phrase, ironically, has a
> disguised element of bigotry -- as if the Indians were known to be
> untrustworthy (cf. "Indian summer"). Given the history of this country's
> treaties with the Native Americans, I wonder where *we* get off calling
> *them* names...
/snip/