translation question

Vladimir Bilenkin achekhov at UNITY.NCSU.EDU
Tue Nov 19 01:10:46 UTC 2002

Edward M Dumanis wrote:

> Even for "Indian summer" translated as "bab'e leto" with 'a disguised
> element of bigotry' and with the same idea of not been trustworthy, the
> target of this bigotry is a different class: women rather than the
> Indians.

Wow!  I never thought of this expression in these terms.  My grandma used
to say that those last sunny days in September were called "babie leto"
because they
were as short and bitter sweet as woman's last, somewhat wilted beauty and
love before she is on her
way to become a babushka.  But then she did not know the ways of politically
correct thinking.

Vladimir Bilenkin,
NCSU