translation question

JSD jsdrisc at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Nov 19 16:40:37 UTC 2002

Colleagues,

Thanks to everyone for confirming that there is no direct translation (or
parallel term) to "Indian giver" in Russian.

Tony's description correctly identifies the economic basis (and cultural
misunderstanding) on which the term emerged in 1760's colonial
America.  The term is not, however, related to the highly ritualized
potlatch, which was a Pacific Northwest practice among the Tlingit and the
Haida, although similar notions of gift exchange were prevalent among
eastern tribes as well.  These practices so confounded colonial settlers,
who misunderstood the conception that gifts are not "property" but are
meant to remain in circulation in order to tie communities together through
social obligation, that this term eventually became a racial slur.

Many thanks,

Jim Driscoll