translation question

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Tue Nov 19 17:25:51 UTC 2002

>On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Alina Israeli wrote:
>
>> With all the bab'e leto discussion we got away from the subject.
>>
>> While "Indian giver" to my knowledge doesn't exist in Russian, I would
>> suggest for translation purposes
>>
>>         Bojtes' danajcev dary prinosjashchix.
>>
>This is the first time when I have to disagree with Alina Israeli.
>"Bojtes' danajcev dary prinosjashchix" means beware the gift from your
>enemy because it might be a trap.
>There is nothing to be afraid with an Indian giver besides the
>unpleasantness, irritation and embarrassment.

As far as I understand, "Indian giver" means one who gives and then takes
it back, that is there is some treatury implied. Danajcy gave a gift which
helped to conquer the city, also some treatury. In both cases these are
gifts you should avoid. While I don't know in what context "Indian giver"
appeared, the line I offered conveys the main gist.

>When the word for translation of a given term does not exist, one can
>introduce a new word in the text along with a footnote to explain it.

There are different schools of thought: some that would translate
"Chizhik-pyzhik" verbatim if it appeared in the text, and some that would
find a counterpart in the target language.  Otherwise lots of alien phrases
or proverbs would get footnoted.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW