translation question

Eric Naiman naiman at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Nov 19 17:47:38 UTC 2002

Following the posts of Jim Driscoll and Tony Vanchu, I looked in the OED,
which basically equates the historical meaning of "Indian giving" with what
Russians might call blat -- 1765 "An Indian gift is a proverbial
expression, signifying a presnent for which an equivalent return is
expected."  1860 Bartlett's Dictionary glosses Indian giver  -- "When an
Indian gives any thing, he expects to receiv an equivalent, or to have his
gift returned."  The first obviously hostile and racist definition dates to
1892 from the Journal of American folk lore:  "If an American child, who
has  made a small gift to a playmate is indiscreet enough to ask that the
gift be returned, he (or she) is immediately accused of being an
Indian-giver, or as it is commonly pronounced Injun-giver."
   Psychologically, the dynamics of this expression are clear.  Since
Indians don't have a proper understanding of contract, no deal to which
they are a party is ever binding and so we non-Indians have the right to
take anything we want back from them.  (So an Indian giver is "really" not
an Indian who gives but somebody who has "given" something to an Indian).