US visa requirements

lemelinc lemelinc at DICKINSON.EDU
Wed Nov 20 04:01:32 UTC 2002

Dear SEELang-ers,

I have a related question on entry restrictions for Russian citizens.

We have an instructor visiting from Russia this year.  Due to financial and
time restraints, she will not be able to go home for the holidays.  She would
like her boyfriend--whom I met this summer in Moscow--to come visit her here,
but unfortunately, our global education office has said they can't make an
invitation from the college for him to come.  She has asked if I could write
the invitation.

My questions are

1) What needs to go in a letter of invitation?
	- Do I need to say anything particular ("I take responsibility for....")
	Ð Are there particular (not obvious) data, facts, or details to be included?

2) Is this feasible, or will it sound odd for me to invite someone with whom I
am not a close acquaintance?

3) Do I send such a request/invitation to Moscow or to DC?  (I've asked a
couple people here and have received conflicting information.)

Please respond off-list, and I my thanks in advance,

Christopher W. Lemelin, Instructor
Department of Russian
Dickinson College
Post Office Box 1773