Looking for a Russian language course in Moscow

Kevin Bray kevin.bray at UTORONTO.CA
Tue Oct 1 00:49:13 UTC 2002

David,

I spent six weeks of the summer of 2001 in Moscow with Ziegler and I had
a very positive experience.  The staff at Ziegler were almost always
available when I needed them, though I did have some trouble with my
visa arrangements after the fax copy of my passport got lost in the
transmission to Moscow (it wasn't really anybody's fault, but it did
cost me a little extra to coax a short-order visa out of the Russian
embassy in Ottawa).  Ziegler operates out of Switzerland, but they have
good associates in Moscow, who will arrange your study program at MGU.
All Ziegler really does is represent you in correspondence with the
Russian Language  Centre at MGU, which allocates MGU professors to teach
custom Russian language curricula to foreigners; you can contact the
Russian language Centre directly if you wish (I've met people who chose
this method), but Zielgler and Partner will save you the hassle of
arranging accommodation, visas, and various other things which can be
difficult to arrange from North America.   I stayed in the student
residence at MGU, so I'd be unable to comment on the homestay portion of
your plan.  I recommend Ziegler and I'd be happy to pass along a few
tips.  Get back to me off-list if you'd like to know more.

This offer applies to anyone else on the list who might be considering a
similar trip.

Kevin Bray
University of Toronto