Cyrillic on the Macintosh

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Tue Oct 1 01:42:38 UTC 2002

Dear SEELANGers:

I'm wondering if any of you have solved the problem of Cyrillic on
the Macintosh in OS X ("jaguar") with regard to having both phonetic
("transliterated" or "student") and standard Russian keyboards.  The
last I heard about this (from Eliot Borenstein's postings to SEELANGs
of April 12, 2002 and April 22, 2002 - check SEELANGs archives for
details), the best solution seemed to be through

Cyrillix 1.0
(http://download.com.com/3000-2274-9423661.html?tag=lst-0-1)

But Elliot noted that the phonetic keyboard layout was NOT standard
(e.g., with regard to the letter "zh" which apparently was not on the
apostrophe key).

The recent discussion on this list suggested the Yale website at
www.yale.edu/multilingual, but that site only gives keyboards for Mac
OS 8.5.

If anyone has a solution, I'd certainly love hearing about it and
suspect that other Mac users on this list would too.

With best regards to all,

Ben Rifkin

--
=================
Benjamin Rifkin

Professor of Slavic Languages, Slavic Dept., UW-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI  53706 USA
voice: 608/262-1623; fax: 608/265-2814
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/slavic/rifkin/

Director of the Russian School
Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT  05753
voice:  802/443-5533; fax: 802/443-5394
http://www.middlebury.edu/~ls/russian/