Leningrad or Piter ?

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Oct 4 13:39:08 UTC 2002

>What do you think  while reading  a newspaper,,:
>"Petrogradskoje  upravlenje  vnutrennich del....,

Must have been "Petrogradskij rajon" of the city, not the city itself.

>v Leningradskoj oblasti.....

The city voted to have its name changed while the "oblast'" never did.
Moreover, within the religious subdivision, it is "Leningradskaja
eparxija".

>- gorod Piter ...,
>. v Sankt-Peterburge......"

Since "Sankt-Peterburg" is long and difficult to pronounce (I would also
add, lacks sonorants that are more pleasing to an ear; compare [sktp] to
[lnr] of "Leningrad". You could look at the made-up names for cars for
comparison, Elantra, come to mind), most people resort to a shorter and
easier name Piter.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Mass. Ave. NW