Leningrad or Piter ?

Edil Legno peitlova at TISCALINET.IT
Fri Oct 4 08:11:28 UTC 2002

What do you think  while reading  a newspaper,,:
"Petrogradskoje  upravlenje  vnutrennich del....,
v Leningradskoj oblasti.....
- gorod Piter ...,
. v Sankt-Peterburge......"
Is it possible that the Russian Academy couldn't find just one word (instead of "old" Leningrad and its adjectives) to indicate "Sankt-Peterburg,Leningradskij,Petrogradskij,Piter and s.o. Is there really some rule according which we should use one or another word? It seems to me a nice jungle!!

Katarìna Peitlovà,Ph.Dr.