advertising Slavic department, was: enrollments query

George Kalbouss kalbouss at MAC.COM
Sat Oct 5 13:28:56 UTC 2002

Dear Jolanta,

        Over the past thirty years, we have done various and massive
advertisings for our programs.  Here are some of the things that have
been done:

        (1)  A Half-Time Show on Slavic and E. European Heritage at a football
game.

        (2)  Posters and flyers absolutely everywhere; dorms, classroom
buildings, etc.

        (3)  Advertising courses in the university Newspaper.

        (4)  Submissions of good students for awards, scholarships, honors,
etc.

        (5)  Career seminars, i.e. what to do with Russian in your hip pocket.
  These seminars were more involved in how to get a job anywhere, not
necessarily relying on Russian, but selling the idea that people who
have studied Russian tend to be exceptional.  We used the Employment
Services office to give hints on how to write resumes,  also discussed
how the students could meet influential local businesspersons through
"informational interviews," etc.  This seminar could be done by any
department in the university, but they don't-- we do.

        (6)  Getting to the people who advise students which courses to take:
academic advisers, athletic advisers,  ROTCs, agricultural school, etc.
Once the advisers are on our side, the students begin to enroll.

        (7)  This might sound old-fashioned, but,  teaching really good
courses that are interesting, and on several levels:  the language
courses for those committed and general culture courses for the,
hopefully, curious, and people who will only take one course with us.
Once a good course is established in this university, we have to turn
students back. Interesting does not have to mean shallow, however;  one
of our big draws is a "Masterpieces of Russian Literature" survey
course on the 200-level, yes there are students who want to read.

        (8)  Making certain that Slavic Studies is something "American" and
not exotic and foreign.  Recently, we have instituted an Immigration
Heritage course as part of the university's "American experience"
requirement, some of the sections go to NY-Ellis Island as part of the
course.

        (9)  Having our Graduate Students teach undergraduate literature and
culture, not simply assist.

        (10)  Weekend Russian language camps and foreign study programs.

        (11)  A departmental Newsletter, website with course syllabi, other
internet connections (www.osu.edu)

        (12)  Linking up downtown with State Legislators and Business people
interested in Central and Eastern Europe. We're the only Department in
the University officially participating in the Ohio Bicentennial next
year.  Maintaining contacts with various Ohio heritage groups.

        (13)  Making certain that our departmental office doesn't look like
the Soviet Union.

        Our fall enrollment for all courses is at about 900 right now and we
have 40 majors or so.

George Kalbouss, Emeritus
Ohio State University