advertising Slavic department

George Kalbouss kalbouss at MAC.COM
Sun Oct 6 14:05:34 UTC 2002

No, Lenin is fine, as is a nice Mednyj vsadnik, matreshki, and even
some of those endlessly manufactured folk spoons.
What I mean is a scene with which we are all familiar, our own versions
of Gogol's gorodok N:  a pile of books on the floor left by someone a
year ago who meant to return to pick it up,  flyers for scholarships on
the bulletin board where the deadline has passed last August, a totally
clueless student assistant. a glowering secretary who makes a student
feel as if he has just committed a crime by asking a question,  a
permanently closed door to the Chair's chamber,  areas in the office
which are in permanent darkness,  a candy dish which says, "TAKE ONE"
but there is nothing in it, you add the rest.

GK