Foreign equivalents of 'logrolling'

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun Oct 20 01:26:45 UTC 2002

>>The Oxford dictionary translates the term as "politika 'ty mne -ja
>>tebe'," which smells like a custom coinage.  Would anyone know of
>>another term?  I would also be interested in equivalents from other
>>Slavic languages.
>
>A common term in Bulgarian is shurobadzhanachestvo, from shurej
>'brother-in-law: wife's brother' and badzhanak 'brother-in-law:
>wife's sister's brother'.

That would be Russian "kumovstvo". In a negative sense Russians like to
quote Krylov: "Za chto kukushka xvalit petuxa, za to chto xvalit on
kukushku."

In a positive sense, it might be "krugovaja poruka", although it could be
perceived or used as a negative one as well, as in code of silence, for ex.

AI

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Mass. Ave. NW