Jack Kollmann jack.kollmann at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Oct 25 18:17:48 UTC 2002

Dear Lauren,

         Rather than attempting a separate and distinct architectural style
of "Neo-Russian," I would prefer to say that "Slavic Revival" sentiments
affected a number of architects working in Russia ca. 1870-1917, and I
would stress that the period is rich in experimentation, therefore making
it difficult to distinguish neat categories.  One can point to Slavic
Revival elements in various stylistic categories.  The following suggested
categories ("invented" for the purpose of answering your question) should
be taken loosely, with lots of overlap -- i.e., given examples could be
placed in more than one category, or one could toss out this attempt at
"categories":
         Eclectic buildings like GUM, Upper Trading Rows, Middle Trading
Rows, GIM, City Duma, Riga Station, Korzinkin's Commercial House, Korsh
Theatre, Polytechnic Museum, Tret'iakov Passage;
          Art Nouveau (Stil' modern) structures like Bondarenko's Old
Believers' Church, GTG, Iaroslavl' Station, Kazan' Station, Podvvinskoe
podvor'e, Ssudnaia kazna, Petrov's Apt. House, Pertsov's Apt. House,
Igumnov's House, Metropol Hotel;
         and more or less "pure" Slavic Revival buildings like Shchusev's
church in the Martha-Mary Convent, Shchukin Museum, Resurrection Church in
Sokol'niki (w/Stil' Moderne aspects), Church of the Georgian Nurses'
Society, V.M. Vasnetsov's House (portion of it), E.A. Khrushcheva's House,
and Porokhovshchikov's House.
         For illustrations and discussion of numerous examples, see works
and albums by Berton, Brumfield, Hamilton, Kirichenko, et al.

Jack Kollmann
Stanford University