"Rossianin"

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at UCDAVIS.EDU
Mon Sep 2 00:04:53 UTC 2002

1 Sept 02

Dear colleagues,
I have to agree with Serguei Glebov here.  The "russkii"/"rossiiskii"
distinction is a chronic problem.  The first refers to ethnos, the second
to citizenship.  But only ideally.  As Valerii Tishkov observes, members of
an ethnos often want to be regarded as a nationality and to have a nation
(in the civic sense) for themselves.  This is nationalism.  Russian
nationalists have managed to get a civic nation for
themselves.  Carpatho-Rusyns and Kurds have not.  When ethnic Russians
(russkie) want their imperiia or their federatsiia to be referred to as
"russkaia" rather than "rossiiskaia," they are being nationalistic, e.g.:
"Rossiia dlia russkikh."  Hostility to non-russkie is implied in Russian
nationalism, and is expressed in the form of racism (not so common) or in
the form of assimilationism (much more common - e.g., Jews being baptized
into the Orthodox Church in the late imperial period, Tatars having their
names russified, etc.).  In assimilationism members of the ethnic group
which seeks assimilation are sometimes complicitous in Russian nationalism.

Another issue: "blood."  Not only is there no such thing as a "rossiianin"
"by blood," there is also no such thing as a "russkii" "by blood."  To
assert that one is an ethnic Russian "by blood" is to assume that there is
a Russian race.  There is no Russian race because there are no races in
humans generally.  Racism is both morally and biologically unfounded.

To put it another way.  "Blood" or "race" is a metaphor for genetic
distinction.  But human genes have clinal rather than racial distribution
(unlike some non-human organisms).  So, there is no such thing as a gene
(or genes) for Russianness.

I explore these and related issues in RUSSIAN NATIONALISM FROM AN
INTERDISCIPLINARY PERSPECTIVE: IMAGINING RUSSIA (Edwin Mellen Press, 2000).

Cheers to all,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere
Professor of Russian