gadassov gadassov at IFRANCE.COM
Thu Sep 5 11:56:14 UTC 2002

> "Colkitto" wrote
>
>> At the same time, when Rezanov or Kruzenstern spoke about "Americans",
> they
> referred to Indians from Alaska or California, where white people were
> Spaniards."
>
> and they called, I think,  the people we nowadays call "Americans"
> "Bostonians"

Yes. "Bostonians" were men on ships that sailed through the cape Horn, and
operated in the Pacific Ocean.
They often were whale hunters, but also did trading with different  native
people: furs in north-Pacific, sandal wood, coprah, pearls in south-Pacific
islands.
At this time (beginning of the XIXth c), the whole of America coasts, from
Patagonia to San Francisco, belonged (politically) to Spain, Alaska belonged
to Russia, and the latter was to create Fort Ross, north of San Francisco
bay, in 1812, with the project to colonize what is now north-California,
Oregon, and Washington state. This geopolitical vision died with Alexander
the first, and projects in north America weren't to be supported by Nicolas
the first.
"Bostonians" traded directly with natives, practising barter with European
goods, mostly fire arms, and for this reason, weren't apprecieted by
Spaniards or Russians, who called them "pirats".
Georges