enrollments query

Cosentini, Mary Anne macos at CONNCOLL.EDU
Fri Sep 20 14:03:49 UTC 2002

Ben,
These are the results that I got from my first year students (12) at
Connecticut College.
1. The department ran a strong publicity campaign; seven out of 12 said that
they had seen the ads.
2.  None said that the language or course had been recommended to them.  One
student said she had heard that the course was challenging, and that
motivated her to take it.
3.  Of the 12 students, half had taken some sort of related course (history,
literature, or Russian politics)
4.  Most interesting were the reasons why each student decided to study
Russian. One said that it was because her father was Russian, another said
that the country and culture fascinated him, others believed that fluency in
Russian would be needed in the future, that it would be an asset to a major
in International Relations.  Some said that they wanted to study a less
common language, that they wanted to study in Russia and they wanted to be
able to read Russian literature in the original. Finally, one student (and
not the first in my career) said that he decided to study Russian after
watching "The Hunt for Red October."  I think that we'll be showing that
movie on campus more frequently.
Regards,
Mary Anne Cosentini