enrollments query

Belianine Valeri vbelyanin at MTU.RU
Tue Sep 24 13:24:25 UTC 2002

Bonjour, SEELANGers
K> became a sort of celebrity.  I'm looking for examples where a specific
K> name was attached to the desired behaviour, so that the line would go,
K> "Be like [enter name here], do [enter activity here] today!".
K> Kevin Bray University of Toronto

The first names that come to my memory are:
Alexei Stahanov (miner, 1935)
Valeriy Pavlovich Chkalov (pilot who flew Moscow - North Pole -
Vancouver in 1936-1937)
Cheluskinci (general name for those who went in 1933 from Murmansk to
Vladivostok)
Celinnik (general name for those who went to the virgin lands in
Kazakhstan - celina - in 1955-57)
Nikolay Ostrovsky (1904-1936, almost blind author of "How the steel was
tempered"; his hero Pavel Korchagin had to be a sample for youth)
Mamlakat Nahangova (who collected cotton with both hands and not with
one; was portrayed on the poster in the hands of Stalin)
Zoja Kosmodemjanskaya (hero partisan of 19 y.o. - hanged by fascists
in 1941)
Oleg Koshevoj and his Molodaja Gvardija (WW2, Krasnodon)
Alexandr Matrosov (closed with his body a fascist machine gun 1943)
Alexei Maresjev (Meresjev) (hero pilot during WW2, known through a
book of Boris Polevoy "Povest o nastojaschem cheloveke" as well)
and some others.
In high school I was forced to write a composition
"V zhizni vsegda est mesto podvigu"
almost every year and these names were a kind of obligatory to be
mentioned (even in "mirnoye vremya") :(

Cordially, Val Belianine, editor for www.textology.ru

P.S. Some samples are taken from the dictionary of Soviet language
that will soon be published in Moscow.
I happened to contribute to the manuscript. Something seems funny
nowadays, but in reality it is rather sad....