Looking for a Russian language course in Moscow

David Chaika chaikad at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Sep 30 23:38:59 UTC 2002

Dear SEELANGers,

I am planning a trip next Spring 2003 to bring up my spoken Russian. I am thinking of taking classes starting about mid May for 4 weeks with a program that provides for staying with a Russian family, I hope for under $2000. I'd prefer to stay in Moscow, altho Saratov might be ok too. I have found several Moscow schools that appear to offer what I want, and wonder whether anyone here can recommend or un-recommend any of them, or even suggest others.

О себе. Born in US, not of Russian ancestry. Undergrad Northwestern, grad U Chicago. I have taught Russian, translated (in writing) technical R for years. Russian no longer has anything to do with how I earn my living, unfortunately.  Plain ole Russophile. I want to be able to listen to Russian and understand it without falling behind gradually as I do now, and to be able to speak it better than I already can. Also want to get the feel of Russian daily life. So I am looking for this total submersion program. (Wish it could be longer!)

These are four schools that I have found that seem suitable:

www.studyabroadinternational.com (IPSA affiliate)
www.ruslanguage.ru (Center for Russ Lang & Cult.)
www.grint.ru (GRINT)
www.studyrussian.com (Ziegler)

I would be grateful for any comments. Заранее спасибо!