Unicode fonts covering OCS for Mac OS X?

Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Thu Aug 28 19:32:12 UTC 2003

Dear Seelangers,

Once upon a time I used a Macintosh running system 7.5, and I had an
OCS Cyrillic
font in it that I got from Paul Cubberley. It broke down.

Now I have a Macintosh laptop iBook running operating system 10.2. It
makes some provision
for the Unicode character set. When I open the TextEdit text
processing application and
look at the Character Palette, I can find all the Cyrillic letters
that I need to write in Russian,
Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian, and Macedonian (Bulgarian, too,
because it uses a subset
of the Russian character set). There are also locations for some
further Cyrillic letters; these
have names and numbers, like capital jat, small jat, but they are blank.

How do I get and install a font that has the various letters I need
for Old Church Slavonic?
jat, small jus, big jus, jotated big jus, psi, ksi, jotated a and all the rest.

It would be nice to have the Latin letters that Slavists use too. The
fonts I have type jat,
c-hacek, z-hacek, etc., because these are used in modern Czech, also
s-acute, c-acute etc.,
a-ogonek and e-ogonek which are used in modern Polish, but where do I
find o-ogonek
which I need for writing about early Slavic?
--

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu