Unicode fonts covering OCS for Mac OS X?

Christopher TESSONE tessone at POLYGLUT.NET
Thu Aug 28 20:39:54 UTC 2003

    Wayles> Now I have a Macintosh laptop iBook running operating
    Wayles> system 10.2. It makes some provision for the Unicode
    Wayles> character set. When I open the TextEdit text processing
    Wayles> application and look at the Character Palette, I can find
    Wayles> all the Cyrillic letters that I need to write in Russian,
    Wayles> Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian, and Macedonian (Bulgarian,
    Wayles> too, because it uses a subset of the Russian character
    Wayles> set). There are also locations for some further Cyrillic
    Wayles> letters; these have names and numbers, like capital jat,
    Wayles> small jat, but they are blank.

You'll need to install one of the TrueType fonts available for OCS.
Kirillica Wincyr is an excellent font, found here:

http://www.funet.fi/pub/culture/russian/comp/fonts/ttf/kirillicy.zip

However, if I remember correctly, it's missing yat' and the i + stem
for i-a, i-e, etc.  For those characters, I used Kiril Ribarov's OCS
font:

http://chslav.hypermart.net/files/kliment.zip

The fonts work together fairly well.  If I remember right, typing 'j'
under Ribarov's font will give you the i-, then just type the vowel
after it.

However, I'll warn you, they do not work everywhere.  I'm not running
OS X on my laptop any longer, but I seem to remember TextEdit not
working terrible well with certain foreign fonts.  Also, Microsoft
Word is a nightmare, and does not open old files correctly many
times.  (Old files using Cyrillic, I mean.)  You might want to try
OpenOffice:

http://www.openoffice.org/

I haven't used the OS X version in a long time, but I suspect it has
improved along with the other ports.  The version I'm using now opens
all my old files (no matter whether they were created on Windows or
the Mac), understands Cyrillic just fine, and is in general a joy to
use.

    Wayles> It would be nice to have the Latin letters that Slavists
    Wayles> use too. The fonts I have type jat, c-hacek, z-hacek,
    Wayles> etc., because these are used in modern Czech, also
    Wayles> s-acute, c-acute etc., a-ogonek and e-ogonek which are
    Wayles> used in modern Polish, but where do I find o-ogonek which
    Wayles> I need for writing about early Slavic?  --

O-ogonek is in Latin Extended-B:

01EA LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH OGONEK
01EB LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH OGONEK

Under the Keyboard menu in OS X there should be an option to add a
character palette to your keyboard menu.  Add it and find the above
letters in Latin Extended-B.  If you add them to your character
palette favorites, you can just open up the palette, double-click
them, and go on with your document.

Cheers,
Chris

--