Unicode fonts covering OCS for Mac OS X?

Kevin Hawkins kshawkin at UIUC.EDU
Sat Aug 30 04:15:23 UTC 2003

> You'll need to install one of the TrueType fonts available for OCS.
> Kirillica Wincyr is an excellent font, found here:
> http://www.funet.fi/pub/culture/russian/comp/fonts/ttf/kirillicy.zip
>
> However, if I remember correctly, it's missing yat' and the i + stem
> for i-a, i-e, etc.  For those characters, I used Kiril Ribarov's OCS
> font:
> http://chslav.hypermart.net/files/kliment.zip
>
> The fonts work together fairly well.  If I remember right, typing 'j'
> under Ribarov's font will give you the i-, then just type the vowel
> after it.

Font issues are very confusing, as most people are aware.  I am not an expert, but I believe I can offer a point of clarification.

While these fonts have glyphs representing OCS characters, it looks like they both pre-date Unicode, meaning that files you create using them will not be usable in the hopefully not-so-distant future when fonts with the complete Unicode character set will come with operating systems by default.  Any font that lets you type "j" for something without switching the keyboard layout has just replaced the Latin "j" with a different character, so the chance of this font becoming unusable in the future (as in Wayles's experience) are pretty high because the font doesn't follow an accepted standard, like Unicode.

So for long-term reusability of these files, I suggest finding a *Unicode* font that includes all the characters you need.

Kevin Hawkins