epitrakhil'

Melissa Frazier mfrazier at MAIL.SLC.EDU
Wed Dec 3 16:53:27 UTC 2003

Dear Seelangers,

I have a student working on a translation of Zoshchenko's story "Ispoved'"
and he came upon the word "epitrakhil'."  We found a definition in Dal',
which is:
"odno iz oblachenii sviashchennika, nadevaemoe na sheiu, pod rizoiu."  In
the story the priest then puts it over the woman confessing at the point
when he says "Bog prostit."  Can anyone tell me what we might call this
item in English? Is there an equivalent item in the vestments of a Catholic
priest, for example, which might work also for a translation?  Any thoughts
to mfrazier at slc.edu would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Melissa Frazier