Doroga lozhka k obedu

Mon Dec 8 02:21:16 UTC 2003

Alina Israeli wrote:

 >>> What is, in your opinion, the best English equivalent for Doroga
 >>> lozhka k obedu?
 >
 >> The English equivalent is "A stitch in time saves nine."
 >
 > No, this is more like "Sem' raz otmer' odin raz otrezh'".

Not sure which of these idioms you're equating, but assuming it's the
latter two:

"A stitch in time saves nine" means that a small action, taken early
enough, eliminates the need for drastic action later. In other words, do
it now and you'll have an easy time of it. So this is not exactly
equivalent to "Семь раз мерь, один раз отрежь," which as I understand it
is more about caution and planning ahead to prevent a mistake than about
acting early to minimize effort.

 > The connotation of the "spoon" is that it's only good during meal
 > time, but if it comes late, it has little value. The Dictionary of
 > Idioms by Lubensky on p. 342 suggests  for the "spoon" "slow help is
 > no help" and "it's all in the timing".

For this sense, here are a few options:

"Too little, too late" -- when the speaker is complaining/criticizing
that the actor did not act effectively enough and/or soon enough,
especially not soon enough. This is similar to Lubensky's "a day late, a
[dollar] short."

"That ship has sailed" (and also "you missed the boat") -- when an
opportunity has already passed and a person still hopes to take advantage.

"Justice delayed is justice denied" -- in legal contexts.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com