About Announcements on SEELANGS

David Powelstock powelstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Dec 11 14:29:39 UTC 2003

I am sorry to hear that one of our list members was so primitive as to send
such a message to Uladzimir Katkouski.  It is probably true that those who
find his posts regarding matters Belarusian directly useful are a minority
of subscribers.  Nevertheless, there is no doubt in my mind that these posts
are perfectly appropriate, and that SEELANGS is precisely the right place
for them.  After all, not every post is relevant to all list members.

In my opinion, it is the unidentified list member who privately flamed
Uladzimir in such a hostile manner who has abused the list by harassing one
of its members.  I suggest that this member be reprimanded by the list owner
and put on notice that he or she will be banned from the list if such
behavior continues.

Sincerely,

David Powelstock
Assistant Professor of Russian and East European Literatures
Brandeis University
GREA, MS 024
Shiffman 113
Waltham, MA  02454-9110