Kastal'sky

Kimberly Fedchak kfedchak at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 12 20:53:26 UTC 2003

Hello SEELANGers,

On behalf of a violinist friend of mine, I am on a quest for translated (into
English) literary publications of composer Alexander Dmitriyevich Kastal'sky (b
Moscow 1856, d Moscow 1926).

Does anyone know where I could find any of the following in English?

Osobennosti narodno-russkoy muzikal'noy sistemiÊ [Peculiarities of the Russian
Folk Music System] (Moscow and Petrograd, 1923, 2/1961)
Osnovi narodnovo mnogogolosiyaÊ [Principles of Folk Polyphony]Ê ed. V. Belyayev
(Moscow and Leningrad, 1948)

I'm also looking for English translations of the following works about
Kastal'sky:

I. Glebov [B. Asaf'yev]: 'Kastal'sky', Sovremennaya muzika (1927), no. 19.

V. Pashalov: 'A.D. Kastalsky kak etnograf i reformator narodnovo stilya v
muzike', Muzikal'noye obrazovaniye (1927), no. 3-4

A. Aleksandrovsky: 'Pamyati A.D. Kastal'skovo (k 10-letiyu so dnya smerti)',
SovM (1937), no. 3

B. Asaf'yev: 'Cherez proshloye k budush chemu' [Through the past to the
future], SovM: sbornik (1943), no. 1, p. 7

D.V. Zhitomirsky:Ê A.D. Kastal'sky: statya, vospominaniya, materiali (Moscow,
1960)
The above citations are from the big Grove dictionary of music, I don't know
what edition, in article about Kastal'sky by Inna Barsova.

Forgive me if I'm overlooking some obvious avenue, and thanks in advance for
your help.

Kimberly Fedchak

=====
Kimberly Fedchak
Russian Section
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Swarthmore College
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore PA 19081
Kohlberg 304