Kastal'sky

Geoffrey Chew uhwm006 at SUN.RHUL.AC.UK
Fri Dec 12 21:26:27 UTC 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Kimberly Fedchak wrote:

> On behalf of a violinist friend of mine, I am on a quest for
> translated (into English) literary publications of composer Alexander
> Dmitriyevich Kastal'sky (b Moscow 1856, d Moscow 1926).
>
> Does anyone know where I could find any of the following in English?
>
> Osobennosti narodno-russkoy muzikal'noy sistemi [Peculiarities of the
> Russian Folk Music System] (Moscow and Petrograd, 1923, 2/1961)
>
> Osnovi narodnovo mnogogolosiyaƊ [Principles of Folk Polyphony] ed. V.
> Belyayev (Moscow and Leningrad, 1948)

[plus various items of secondary literature].

> The above citations are from the big Grove dictionary of music, I
> don't know what edition, in article about Kastal'sky by Inna Barsova.
>
> Forgive me if I'm overlooking some obvious avenue, and thanks in
> advance for your help.

The above is the bibliography for the Kastal'sky article by Barsova in the
6th ed. of Grove (1980); the article in the revised New Grove (2000, and
online at www.grovemusic.com, though not available without subscription)
is by Svetlana Zvereva, who is a co-editor of more of Kastal'sky's
writings, in S.G. Zvereva, A.A. Naumov and M.P. Rakhmanova, eds.:
Russkaya dukhovnaya muzika v dokumentakh i materialakh, i: Sinodal'niy
khor i uchilishsche tserkovnogo peniya, vospominaniya, dnevniki, pis'ma
(Moscow, 1998) [including articles by K. on church music, 165-8, and
selected letters, 269-312].  All Grove bibliographies would include
references to published (or for that matter unpublished) translations into
English, so I'm afraid that none of these items has been translated.

 Geoffrey Chew
 Music Department, Royal Holloway, University of London
 Internet: chew at sun.rhul.ac.uk