Cyrillic fonts

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Tue Dec 16 19:07:51 UTC 2003

>there any way to mark stress in Times CY?  Also, has anyone been able to
>use Cyrillic Transliterated in OSX?  It won't print on my computer.

I know Rebecca said to respond off-list but I want to second her
query. And it probably has been addressed before, though I don't
remember the solution (mea culpa).

I too cannot use Cyrillic transliterated in OSX, and there seem to be
other things whose "functionality" didn't transfer when I got a new
computer in the office.  We're still finding out what they are.

For now, to address the "Cyrillic Transliterated" problem, we ended
up dumping out Office altogether from OSX and reinstalling things
like Word in OS 9 only so that I can shift from OSX to "classic mode"
and do my word processing using OS 9. If you leave a program like
Word in both OSX and OS9, switching to Classic won't work.

Is there another program that still takes AND prints Cyrillic
transliterated even in OSX?
Is there a way to mark stress in such transliterated fonts?

I too would welcome any information on transliterated or phonetic
fonts and what has worked for you in OSX. The computer people here
have doggedly re-configured drives and disks and desktops several
times over and we have no better solution, so please ...

[I don't want to get into the argument of Russian keyboard vs.
transliterated keyboard, nor Mac vs. PC., nor what I actually think
of OSX.
Fact: My Russian colleague, as in from Russia, uses a phonetic font
rather than the Russian keyboard, she's on a PC, and she's had major
problems as well !!]
... I just want to know how to keep using a tool that has provided
great convenience so far  -- which is after all the whole point of
computers.

-FR

--
Francoise Rosset, Russian and Russian Studies
Wheaton College
e-mail: frosset at wheatonma.edu