Cyrillic fonts

Lynne deBenedette lynne_debenedette at BROWN.EDU
Tue Dec 16 21:08:45 UTC 2003

Assuming that by ³transliterated Cyrillic² you mean a homophonic keyboard
setup (i.e., one that has Russian ³A² where English ³A² is):

You shouldn¹t have to use OS9 for word processing. I use 10.2 and have just
been experimenting with the Apple Standard keyboard layout (which is both
homophonic‹English A = Russian A-- and a ³toggle² font that uses the
capslock to switch between Eng and Ru).  It seems to work fine.

As for stress marks: I tend not to use the stress mark for stresses, because
1) it¹s hard to find in some fonts; 2) it¹s a pain to get documents to
display correctly when I put my materials onto the web, so I underline
stressed consonants instead; that seems to work for my students just as
well.

The Apple Standard keyboard for 10.2 can be downloaded (it¹s shareware) from
Russification of Macintosh at
<http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/rusmac/kbd.html>
(scroll all the way down the page to OS 10.2)

Lynne
--
Lynne deBenedette
Senior Lecturer in Russian
lynne_debenedette at brown.edu
FALL 2003 Office Hours WED 3.00-4.00 THU 2.00-3.00 and by appt