font & keyboard query

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at WISC.EDU
Wed Dec 17 01:35:11 UTC 2003

Dear SEELANGers:

While we're on the topic of fonts and keyboards for Mac OS X:

Does anyone else have this problem of switching between English and
Cyrillic in MS Word for OS X:

I have fonts and keyboards installed and try to shift from English to
Cyrillic by using the keyboard combination (command + spacebar) or the
flag menu (US flag for English encoding, Russian flag for Cyrillic),
and the encoding shows up as switched, but when I try to type in
Russian, I see only underscores on the screen.  I have to go back and
forth several times between the encodings to get it to work right and
sometimes simply have to cut and paste a single Cyrillic letter in
order to be able to type in Russian.  In moving back and forth between
encodings, I wind up trying to type the name of the font in the font
menu and it comes up in Cyrillic, which MS Word doesn't recognize as a
font in the system: I have to change the encoding to US in order to
type the name of the Russian font.

I assume the problem is MS Office's lack of unicode compliance in the
Macintosh environment.  (The latest version of MS Office for Windows is
supposed to be fully unicode compliant.)

If you have seen this problem and have solved it, please let me know
how you did it.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

With best wishes to all,

Ben Rifkin

Benjamin Rifkin
Professor and Chair, UW-Madison Slavic Dept.
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706 USA
Voice (608) 262-1623; Fax (608) 265-2814
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/slavic