Karenina Numismatics?

Jennifer R. Tishler Jennifer.R.Tishler at DARTMOUTH.EDU
Tue Feb 4 14:05:20 UTC 2003

Dear SEELANGERS:

The following query comes from a student of mine. Any recommendations? What
size should the prop folks cut those pieces of paper?

--Jennifer
-------------
Hi there,

My roommate is the dramaturg for this term's mainstage production of "Anna
Karenina," and she's looking for some information on what the currency looked
like in Russia at that time.  I certainly had no helpful insights myself, but I
thought I'd nose around and see if anyone in the department might have any
clue.

Basically, she needs to know whether coins or paper money were more prevalent
in aristocratic and peasant transactions, and what size that money would have
been. Approximately.

I don't imagine this is the sort of knowledge that anyone has randomly bopping
around their heads, but if you happen to know of any websites of books that
might be helpful for her, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

~Christine