FW: [SEELANGS] query

Tom Priestly tom.priestly at UALBERTA.CA
Fri Feb 14 03:19:56 UTC 2003

Dear Ursula,
It looks as tho' nobody is taking your request seriously.
On the web-sites
http://www76.pair.com/keithlim/jabberwocky/translations/index.html
http://waxdog.com/jabberwocky/translate.html
you will see that  Carroll's "Jabberwocky" has been translated into
Polish (once), Czech (once), Russian (three times; the fourth one
listed looks like a joke), and Slovak (once).
The sites all seem to have the first verse - the one you want - in
these translated versions.
If you show these translations to a literate speaker of FSC, you may
yet obtain the translation you want.

Incidentally, did not Nabokov (as 'Sirin') translate some or all of Alice?

See also Warren Weaver, *Alice in Many Tongues,* Madison: University
of Wisconsin Press, 1964. According to Douglas Hofstadter (whom some
people do not admire as much as others), this "is a book to be
savored, for it reveals a great love for language and its umplumbable
depths." - I have not looked at this book for several years but I
seem to recall that 'Navokov/Sirin' is quoted at length.

Good luck in your quest
MHG
Tom

Tom Priestly