Language difficulty categories

Katie Janicka kjanicka at BRYNMAWR.EDU
Thu Jul 3 16:07:08 UTC 2003

In her Teaching Language in Context, Alice Omaggio Hadley provides a table of
expected levels of speaking proficiency in languages taught at the FSI (p. 28
in 1993 edition, newer editions have the table as well). The table comes
originally from J.E. Liskin-Gasparro, ETS Oral Proficiency Testing Manual.
Princeton, NJ, ETS, 1982.
The table gives length of training (in weeks/hours) to reach various levels
for various groups (difficulty) of languages.

Hope this will help,

Katie Janicka

--

Katie Janicka