Mystery of Nikoli Rerich

Mark Yoffe yoffe at GWU.EDU
Thu Jul 10 15:46:31 UTC 2003

Dear colleagues,
Can anyone help with the question regarding Nikolai Rerikh, Russian painter
and... and many other things.
That's exactly is my question: what or who was Rerikh?
Lately I came across of a great deal of literature regarding this mysterious
character, some of it very new.
Some accounts are absolutely sensationalistic and others claim to be
"scholarly..."
But what is clear to me is that there is absolutely no clarity regarding
Rerich, his mission, adventures, theories, plans and associations. The range
of opinions about him is so wide that these opinions kind of exclude each
other: he is portrayed as a saint, crook, spy, bolshevik collaborator,
megalomaniac, "Fuhrer" like leader to his obsessive followers, agent of
subversion, mystical guru, Buddha incarnated etc.
Are there any definitive studies of Rerich that can be trusted? Any work done
by refereed authors, scholars without specific ideological biases or
uncontrollable rhetorical urges?
Thank you in advance.
MY
--
Mark Yoffe, Ph.D.
Curator, International Counterculture Archive