Trasyanka and surzhik

Elena Gapova e.gapova at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed Jun 4 19:09:25 UTC 2003

I received another recommendation on trasyanka to my personal address and
would want add this to the list:

Radzik, Ryshard. Belarusy. Pohliad z Pol'shchy. Minsk: Entsyklapedyks, 2002.
(ISBN 9856599636). (Contains a chapter "Movy Belarusi u XIX i XX
stahoddziakh" as well as bibliographical references).

Olga Kerziouk
Ukrainian & Belarusian Collections
The British Library

Thanks to everyone once again.

I am eager to read what I can get hold of. It is really fascinating that
"through" Belarusian (i.e.a "smaller" Slavic language) one can have access
to Polish and Ukrainian scholarship (I, at least, have few problems
understanding) and even some survival Czeck, so " a foreign language" is not
a problem (they are not really foreign), but getting the book is.

"Knizhnaya torgovlya ruhnula", ozons etc. are only good if you need Akunin
(or Daniel Steel in Russian) and are quite useless for academic things, esp.
published in Kiev or Izhevsk or Tashkent. On top of that, there are now all
these "different currencies" and "exhcange rates", so if I do not find
Ukrainian "Krytyka" in an American library (or buy it through westview.com
at the US price), the chance of getting it in Belarus is null.

Those who call this the "market", probably, mean "bazar".

Sorry (that was "krik dushi"),
EG