"yellow house" in Russian

Jennifer Croft jennifer-croft at UIOWA.EDU
Wed Jun 11 14:24:58 UTC 2003

Hi,
This might not (probably won't) help you at all, but your question
reminded me of some information I had read about Charlotte Perkins
Gilman's use of yellow as a symbol of mental illness in her story "The
Yellow Wallpaper."  I know that a lot of research has been done to trace
the origins of this usage--maybe you could find something in that?
Anyway, I hope you get lots of more relevant responses!  :)
Best,
Jennifer Croft

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Natalia Samoilova
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 3:30 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] "yellow house" in Russian

Dear Seelangers,

Does anybody know the history of the expression zheltyj dom "mental
hosptal" in Russian? All I know is that it was used already in the early
19th c. (e.g. Pushkin "Ura! V Rossiju skachet..."). Why it is yellow?
Can you possibly suggest any on-line resourses which could help here?

Thank you,
Natalia Samoilova.

                  http://home.attbi.com/~lists/seelangs/