Sense of identity

Timothy D. Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Wed Jun 11 15:53:39 UTC 2003

an appropriate Russian - or even Armenian - equivalent for
> "European (sense of) identity" (the original consists in the French
> "identite europeenne").
>
> Is there anything more adequate than "evropeyskaya samobytnost'" ?

There are over 500 hits on Yandex for "evropeiskaia identichnost'"; the
phrase was evidently handled by the translator of an article by Brzezinski
as "chuvstvo evropeiskoi identichnosti". I got 9 hits on Yandex for
"otozhdestvlenie sebia s evropoi", but the obvious calque "evropeiskaia
identichnost'" is less unwieldy.